AimoStudio

Online Gallery of Irma "Aimo" Ahmed, Lucasfilm-approved Artist.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

RE: Hellboy II - The Golden Army


Prince Nuada, main antagonist of Hellboy II

It doesn't happen often for me, but Hellboy II was one of those rare cases where I actually rooted for the villain instead of the hero...because Hellboy was just not likeable! I am aware that he, his team-mates and their story are interpreted differently in each medium (comics, film, animation), but Hellboy acted way too much like an immature brat in this movie for me to actually have empathy for him. And his romance with Liz? Oiyh, cheesy and petty lines abound as if they're trying the darndest to convince everyone that they have chemistry (Sorry guys, NADA.) I could go on and on, but I'm not really up to writing a review at 4:30 a.m.

To its credit though, the movie boasts beautiful art direction and creature design, and I love the interpretation of elves as beings of otherworldly beauty that are also grotesque at the same time. And looking at the martial arts choreography for Prince Nuada, my housemate and I agreed he can kick Legolas' ass easily in a hand-to-hand brawl :P

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At July 18, 2008 at 10:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Just have to comment, I am in COMPLETE agreement. Nuada was the only interesting character in the movie, and probably the best actor too. Loved the creature design - after Pan's Labyrinth, the creatures were the main reason I went to see the movie.

 
At July 19, 2008 at 1:35 PM , Blogger U.Anne said...

i personally thought prince nuada looked like a mix between Lucius Malfoy and Legolas haha =P

 
At July 21, 2008 at 11:29 AM , Blogger Irma "Aimo" Ahmed said...

Sandra: The creature designs are making me contemplate buying The Art of Hellboy 2 from Dark Horse. I mean, I didn't like the movie, but the designs are soooooo pretty...

Yuann: Haha, no kidding! Give him a Pimp!Snake Cane hehe

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home